A good massage has more benefits then relieving stress, working out tired muscles, and helping the body relax, it also can improve the overall health of your body. All great massages increase blood flow and lymph circulation. Lymph is a fluid that helps to rid your body of toxins and waste. A massage is great for people of all ages. They can help to heal sports related injuries like sprains, or pulled muscles, help with headaches or migraines, promote healthy skin, improve your immune system, good for people with arthritis and even help enhance your metabolism. Massages also help improve sleeping habits, increase energy, reduce anxiety, as well as increase strength and flexibility. Here are some of the most common types of massages and the benefits of each one to help you decide which massage sounds the most helpful to you.
1. Swedish Massage. A Swedish massage is the most common type of massage. It is offered just about every where and is a good massage to get if you have never had one before. The massage consists of long, smooth strokes, kneading, and circular movements on layers of the muscle. The Swedish massage will improve circulation and relieve muscle tension. It also helps clear waste and lactic acid which helps to reduce pain and stiffness in joints and muscles. The Swedish massage is a full body massage that starts on the back, working on the shoulders, arms, and legs, then flips you over to work on the front side of your legs, arms, and neck. It can be any where from 60 to 120 minutes. This is a great massage if you a looking to relax and if you have never had a massage before and are looking to try one.
2. Aromatherapy Massage. Aromatherapy massage combines the massage with essential oils for relieve of stress, headaches, pms, back pain, and some digestive disorders. The essential oils are used in the room to help relax the mind, and in the lotion or oil to relaxing the muscles, and joints. Different scents will be used to fit the specific needs of the client. The scents will be used to calm the body, uplift you, energize you, cleanse your body, and as decongestant. This massage is 60 to 90 minutes long. It is a great massage if you are in stressful environments or your prone to allergies or sinus headaches.
3. Hot Stone Massage. The hot stone massage is one of the most popular forms of massage. It is used to relieve muscle tension in specific areas of the body. The stones are immersed in water and heated. The client is first massaged with oil, so the stones smoothly glide across the skin. The client is them massaged over the arms, legs, and back with the use of hot stones. The heat from the stones helps improve circulation, while calming the nervous system. The heat will go deep into the muscles, to help relieve any tension and soreness. To relieve any excess tension or stress, the therapist will then massage without the use of stones, that way they can work deeper into a certain area. A typical hot stone massage is between 60 and 90 minutes. This is a great massage if you are physically active, or you have a lot of back pain.
4.Oncology Massage. An Oncology massage is a highly individualized massage treatment designed to comfort, nurture and support someone living with cancer. The massage can greatly help relieve some of the side effects related to the treatment phase. Nausea, pain, depression, fatigue, and anxiety can be lessened with regular massage. The Eastern massage incorporates warm stones, ayurvedic oils, marma points and specialized music to help support the organ systems affected by chemo and radiation. These massages are usually 45 minutes long, and are done by an oncology trained therapist. It is great for someone that has cancer or is newly in remission from cancer.
5. Deep Tissue Massage. The deep tissue massage focuses on slower and deeper movements in areas of pain. Deep tissue massage breaks down rigid tissue in muscles to relieve pain and restore movement. A deep tissue massage may cause some pain for people, because it works from deep inside the muscle outwards. Be sure to tell the therapist if you experience any pain. The massage will release toxins into your body, so drink plenty of water to flush any out. This massage is recommended for people who are in constant pain, have had a previous injury or that are athletes. It is too much for the average person. This massage is usually 30 to 90 minutes long.
6. Pregnancy Massage. Pregnancy massage is not like other massages. It is designed specifically for pregnant women with the health and safety of them and there unborn child in mind. It is unsafe for a pregnant women to lay on there stomach, so they are propped up comfortably on there side with pillows and blankets. You can not use any deep tissue work, and you have to avoid certain areas of the body such as the stomach, . The massage can reduce stress, swelling of the body, and pain in your muscles that otherwise would not be relieved. The massage is concentrated mostly on the arms, neck shoulders, back, legs, and feet.The feet are the most important part because they are caring the majority of the bodies weight and stress. The massage is found very comforting by most pregnant women, and the touch from the massage itself can help reduce anxiety. Avoid the massage if you are in your first trimester of pregnancy. The massage lasts from 30 to 90 minutes.
7. Reiki Massage. Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. Reiki treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind, and spirit. In this form of energy healing, hands are placed just off the body or lightly touching the boy, as in “lying on of hands.” Disrobing is not required. Reiki massage uses life’s energy force to tell if your energy force is high or low in your body. If it is low, you are more likely to get sick and feel stress. If it is high, you are more capable of being happy and healthy. This massage does not involve actual massaging. It is used to reduce stress, and promote relaxation and healing. This takes usually 30 to 45 minutes.
8. Reflexology. In reflexology, you apply pressure points that correspond to organs in your body. The tips of your toes and the ball of your foot correspond with your heart, the arch of your foot are with the liver, pancreas, and kidneys, while the heel is with the lower back and intestines. The whole massage is a combination of stretching, pressure points, and a Swedish massage that helps balance the nervous system, help reduce pain and stress, promotes relaxation and encourages overall healing. A reflexology massage is usually 15-30 minutes, and is considered an add on service. If you go to a good spa, the pedicures massage is normally a shorter version of a reflexology. This is a great massage for relaxation, and if you are on your feet a lot at work.
9. Sports Massage. A sports massage is for anyone that is physically active. The goal is to help prevent injuries as well as treating injuries and enhancing the performance of muscles. The massage is a combination of a Swedish massage, and lots of stretching techniques. This will help loosen muscles and increase overall flexibility by focusing on areas that are overused and stressed. A sport’s massage doesn’t have to be just for athletes, it is great for people who have a specific injury or problem that they want the therapist to focus on. This massage can be anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes.
10. Lymphatic Massage. Lymphatic massage is a form of very light massage that encourages lymph flow to the body. It is particularly good for detoxification, edema, pre and post op plastic surgery, pre and post op any other form of surgery, and post liposuction. Lymphatic massage consists of circular pumping movements, producing a soothing and relaxing effect. The massage can help your bodies overall health, and help its ability to heal. The massage is normally 60 minutes long.
11. Back Massage. A back massage focuses on relieving back pain. The massage can be deeper or lighter depending on your pain tolerance. It may also include a neck and shoulder massage. The back massage focuses on relieving pain and tension from everyday life. A back massage will increase the overall circulation, helps with healing, can help improve sleep, relieve stiffness, improve flexibility, and relax the body and mind. A neck and shoulder massage helps relieve tension and help reduce migraine pain. This massage is normally 30 to 45 minutes long.
These are some of the most popular types of massages. They are not all offered everywhere, and are done by trained professionals only. To improve your overall health and well being, you should get a massage at least once a month, more if you can afford it. You will notice a lot less pain in your body, a better ability to focus, and hopefully less stress. Treat your body and mind by booking a massage today.