Everyone has a problem with there hair when winter comes around. Its flat, dry or has lots of static. If you have ever wondered how to fix your distressed winter hair, this is the post for you. Here are 5 main winter hair problems and how you can help to fix the problem.
1. Flatness. Every women loves to have big voluminous hair, and sometimes the winter weather does not allow this to happen. During the winter months, the air becomes drier, and has less moisture, all because there is less humidity. The humidity tends to just effect those who have finer hair. You can help your hair out by using a thickening shampoo in the shower. They are made to add bulk to your hair, without the extra product to weigh it down. When you blow-dry your hair, use lightweight styling products that come in a liquid form. It will make it easier for you to blow-dry your hair with volume, and the lightweight products formula won’t weigh down your hairstyle.
2. Dryness. In the summer months, the heat makes your scalp produce more oil, which keeps your scalp hydrated and your hair shiny. During the winter months, the cold air will dry out your scalp, and using hot styling tools drys out your hair even more. When you shower, switch to a shampoo and conditioner that adds moisture to your hair. And every other week you should go in a salon just to get a scalp treatment and style. The scalp treatment allows time for the scalp to retain moisture, and give you healthier feeling and looking hair.
3. Flakiness. Do you feel like since the weather has become much colder, your scalp is much more flaky then normal. This is because your going from a warm house, to a cold climate on a daily basis. It causes your skin to flake faster than normal, especially on your scalp. Try using a shampoo with natural based products. Lather your hair and leave the shampoo on for about 2-3 mins then rinse. Follow with a natural based conditioner. Wash your hair every other day, and on the off day, use a dry shampoo before you brush your hair. It will soak up the oil that the skin flakes attach to.
4. Static Hair. While you keep warm when your outside using winter apparel, when you go inside to take it off, your hair becomes a static mess. This is because dry hair strands, attract to positively charges, and when you remove your hat, it causes them to repel, which gives you the static in your hair. The natural oils in your hair help prevent static, so try to not wash your hair as much. Wash it 3-4 times a week, and you can always use a light amount of hair spray or water to smooth down the stragglers.
5. Split Ends. Split ends are the result of damaging your hair over and over again. It can be from the weather conditions, over use of hot styling tools, and from not getting your hair trimmed enough. The best way to fix split ends is by getting a hair trim every 4-6 weeks. A trim is only less then an inch of hair being removed. There are products that help get rid of split ends, but all they do is camouflage them for a few days. The only way to get rid of them is by cutting them off. So visit a salon every 4-6 weeks to get rd of your split ends.
Do these things to help minimize the winter distress on your hair. Thank you for all of your support.